Our entire building just got new bulletin boards. Really big ones for right outside our doors in the hallway.
This was a wonderful donation but you know what it means when you get a big bulletin board. It must be covered. So I began the hunt for a fabulous idea. Here's what I ended up with and how I did it.
I covered the board with some wrapping paper from the dollar tree. It was pink with butterflies all over it. I used a boarder that had a white picket fence and flowers to finish off the edges at the top and bottom of the bulletin board. I found some laminated buggy accents and scattered them on the board.
I decided on the title: "Science Doesn't Bug Us!"
To make the title I used one of my favorite fonts and printed the letters. I cut the letters out to make my own letter templates and traced them onto a roll of bright blue contact paper. I cut the letters out of contact paper and outlined them with a black sharpie. Time consuming (ok - maybe) but I loved the end result. Since it is contact paper, it was really easy to stick onto the board right where I wanted each letter.
Next, I needed some student work for the board. I decided on 3 pieces to go with our Ecosystems unit.
1. One of the accent die cuts was a butterfly. I traced the butterfly on sheets of various colors of cardstock and cut them out before using the butterfly on the board. Next, I cut a slit in the middle of each butterfly. Half of them have a slit about 2 inches long coming up from the bottom while the other half have a slit about 2 inches long coming down from the top (between the antennas). This allows me to slide one butterfly down and the other up to create a 3 D butterfly. I gave each student one 3 D butterfly and instructed them to choose 2 science vocabulary words. They wrote each word on the front of one wing. Under the wing they wrote the definition and drew a picture.
2. 3 D energy pyramids were super easy to make. I gave each student a square of cardstock with a slit going from one corner to the middle, which allowed the square to overlap and create a pyramid. Students used their study guides and notebooks to show the flow of energy in an ecosystem.
3. I gave students strips of paper and they began with the producer to create a food chain complete with herbivores and 3 levels of consumers. They linked the strips together to form a chain.
I'm pretty happy with the way the board turned out and the kids had a lot of fun helping me get the board ready before spring break. It was a great review and kept them busy on a day that is often restless (you know what it's like right before a vacation...)
I'm including the letters for the title and a butterfly template in case you want to recreate this board. Hope this gives you some inspiration.