Just Can't Get Enough...

of Steve Spangler's Amazing and Captivating Science ideas and workshops.  He has a true knack for engaging learners.  When I heard he was performing (I mean presenting) a workshop in Greensboro, NC, of course I signed up.  As usual, it was time well spent re-energizing and re-building my science repertoire.

Bitmoji ImageSteve shared a cool new toy (I mean chemicals for studying properties of matter) called Vampire Slime.  It isn't your ordinary slime.  This slime appears to be a dark green color until you shine a light on it and then it turns red, but that's not all.  As soon as I got mine home, my kids wanted to check it out. One of the first things they asked was if it was red in a mirror. We all know that "vampires" can't see their reflection in the mirror right? So if this is vampire slime, we shouldn't see the red, should we?

I shared the idea with Steve and he thought the results were just as interesting as my kids did.  In fact, he was so intrigued by it, my idea was featured on his blog yesterday!  Now that is exciting!  If you want to know more, you'll need to check out his blog.

Steve says that if the learning makes it to the dinner table, we've done our job. I'm pretty sure that if we use Vampire slime to teach NC Essential Standard 5.P.2.3 (Summarize properties of original materials, and the new material(s) formed, to demonstrate that a change has occurred.) the learning will make it to the dinner table and stick with our students well beyond the EOG at the end of the year.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us Heather. We have visited your blog in the past and didn't realize you were the same Mrs. Kaiser until now. We are a fan and you are a teacher who definitely gets it to the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Susan! I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 E Posters

Science Essential Standard 4.E.2.3

NC Essential Standards for Science Lesson Plan Templates