2019 - Getting Back on the Blogging Bike

On June 8, 2011, I wrote and published my first post for this blog. I closed this brief but important post with the following paragraph:
"I hope you will join me on this journey.  This blog and the other information on my website are intended to help other teachers benefit from my experiences.  If you want to make an impact on your students through meaningful, inquiry-based science simulations then you've definitely found a point of reference. Make sure you click to follow this blog so you don't miss a single moment of the journey."
Bitmoji ImageAs 2019 begins, I am hoping once again to return to the regular routine of blogging. For me, that means taking a closer look at where the original journey led. The majority of posts on this blog were accumulated during the first two years (2011 and 2012).  I already knew that was what I would find.  Just as I wrote in that first post, the journey takes twists and turns. In 2012, my journey turned down a road that would ultimately lead to earning my doctorate in education, specializing in e-learning. Although I am proud of that accomplishment, sharing my knowledge and experiences on this blog was one of the things that I was unable to make time for. 


While blogging had become a habit in 2011 and 2012, it was not a habit that returned easily once I completed my doctorate in May 2017. Nearly two years have passed and I have only published 5 blog posts since then. From time to time, I return to this blog and lament over the status while considering reasons for my failure to post. 

1. My PLN on Twitter is really useful to me. I get great ideas there. My questions are answered quickly. There is more interaction on Twitter. 

2. My classroom experience changed. In 2011, I was a STEM lab teacher in grades 3-5. Now I am a gifted consultant teacher in grades 3-5. The learning experiences in my classroom have changed and I'm not sure how to connect them to the original purpose of this blog. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but I know this has been one of the biggest barriers.

3. Writing blog posts take more time. People like visuals. For a blog to be worth visiting, the content needs to be relevant and visually appealing.  This takes time. A lot more time than posting on social media.

Will 2019 be the year I fall back into my habits of blogging more often? I guess only time will tell. This blog post serves as a kind of mile marker. My acknowledgement that I am planning to turn the path back in the direction of sharing more often through this format that allows the author to go into greater depth than a single tweet. My proclamation that the work I am doing is still worth sharing with others and that it is worth the time that it takes to share my knowledge with those who will take the time to read about my experiences.

So, if you happen to be one of the few people still subscribing to my blog or if Twitter brought you here and you managed to read all the way to the end, Thank You! I hope to have something to share with you regularly this year. What's more, I hope you will stop by and comment from time to time. I thrive on collaboration and networking with other educators. Let's make each other better!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 E Posters

Science Essential Standard 4.E.2.3

NC Essential Standards for Science Lesson Plan Templates