Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

I've had numerous experiences with whiteboards, virtual learning, online professional development, and tutoring via chat rooms.  Most tools are either expensive or have limited functionality.  Today I hosted a webinar using Scribblar.  The process couldn't have been easier.  I provided some information about myself and had a free account in minutes.  I was then able to create a virtual learning room with a custom name and generate a password that kept the room private.  Only people with the URL and password could enter.  It allowed me to add pages, upload images, use video and audio, and much more. 
I fumbled around a little bit, but it really wasn't difficult to generate 5 pages to share during a 2 hour webinar.  The webinar should have had about 30 people attending, but only 3 actually showed up.  The 4 of us were able to have a really in depth conversation about what is working in our science classes.  We talked about developing a science fair and encouraging students to complete science fair projects.  I shared some of my most useful spreadsheets, certificates, scoring sheets, and tips as well.  These are available in a password protected page on my website.  If you want to take a look at them, just leave your request in the comment section below along with your email address and I'll gladly send you the password.  This was an outreach partnership that I agreed to help facilitate between Fayetteville State University and Bladen Co. science teachers. 
I'm excited about the prospects of using Scribblar.  I had difficulty finding a way to archive the pages in a way that others could view each page one at a time.  After the webinar, I copied all of the information to page 1 so that others could scroll down the page and view the links.  That is my only complaint.  I guess that's not too bad.
Hoping to set up some more webinars in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment