Day 1 Science in the Rockies

Yesterday was our travel day and all went well. Three of my colleagues and I have arrived in the Denver, CO area for 3 days chock full of exciting science adventure.  Steve Spangler is every bit the master scientist that he appears to be on YouTube folks!  We already have filled a large teacher tote bag (you know the ones I mean) TWICE and it is absolutely overflowing with materials.  The evaluation for today asked which of the demonstrations we would be most likely to use and which one we would not.  I can honestly say there isn't a single thing he showed us today that cannot be applied in K-5 science.  The current challenge will be aligning it with the NC Essential Standards.  That is totally do-able though.
What do I really like about Steve?  Let me name a few things:
1. High energy level.
2. Half comedian/half scientist.
3. He makes real-world STEM career connections to the activities.  (This should really be the #1 on the list of things I like about Steve.)

Of course we did a little site seeing tonight in downtown Denver.  Checked out the 16th St. mall area and enjoyed the atmosphere.  Time to get a little shut eye if I'm going to soak it all in again tomorrow.
I can't imagine a better way to start out this 5 year career award cycle.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 E Posters

Science Essential Standard 4.E.2.3

NC Essential Standards for Science Lesson Plan Templates